Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sorry for the huge gap in posting :(

...I must confess, I didn't update because I so rarely got comments... I figured no one was reading and it only got me down! So, if you're reading, please leave me a line of encouragement or something. Lord knows I need it!

I am just over 6 weeks into being banded. I'm feeling quite well-- still a touch of stingy pain at my port site when I bend over too much, but other than that, life is back to normal. Oh, and a touch of shoulder pain still that didn't really start until WEEKS into being banded. C'est la vie, no?

I lost my first 15 pounds the week immediately following my banding. And I was overjoyed. Now... 5 weeks later, my grand total loss is.... wait for it.... wait for it... 11 pounds! (yeah, it's a letdown, huh?) I'm frustrated. I also have to confess I've been eating like crap and not exercising, so who's to blame, right? ...Yup. My own big butt.

As I've healed, though, I've noticed I get a stuck feeling more often when I eat my no-no foods (rice in particular for me, but also some breads, pastas, and eggplant(?)). I've only gotten officially, slimily, PB-y STUCK once, though. And it was on some broccoli rice that I decided surely I could handle at 4 weeks. Yeah. No. Ewww.

I'm vowing to work this band, though... And work it hard. I get my first fill this coming week and I'm excited. And ready-- OH so ready. I don't care that our heat index is around 106. I'll work out. If I have to do the same 2 Yoga Booty Ballet DVDs over and over again, I'm down with that. My 3 year old loves to dance and will boogie along with Mama. The 9 month old? Well... He might have to yowl at me from the floor and pray I don't step on him as I shake what my mama gave me.

I know that many people don't lose in their first 6 weeks after banding. I know that it's about healing, not about losing at this point. But, I also know that I paid near $9k out of pocket for my surgery, our flights, our passports, our food, etc. And I have this horrible fear of mucking this up like I have every other weight loss attempt ever. And I admit it... I'm scared to bits. I want this to work and I wanna have willpower but... Obviously, if I had much of that I wouldn't be shopping in the plus sizes, now would I? I'm not whining. I'm not. I'm just disgruntled.

And I need support. Seriously. I need people who're there saying, "Go Liss Go!" or "Move it, Fat@$$!" Heck, I don't care. Just say SOMETHING to let me know I'm not alone.

10 comments:

  1. I remember being there, Between my first and second fill I only lost 7 lbs and that was for like 2 or more months (I can't remember now!) Its part of the deal, and well it sucks and its scary because the fear starts to creep in. All I can say is go in and get your fills! Let your bnad help you through the tough times and you will catch up eventually! Never give up even if you only make baby steps, its a step forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Band Buddy! Hang in there! Please go to my blog and read my post from tonight! I know it will get better and the weight will come off. We just have to have faith and start working with the band. I talked to my nutritionist today and he said that I need to be consuming 1,000-1,200 cals per day. We can do this. The band will work but we need to work with it. I started a food and exercise diary on My Fitness Pal. I know you hate calorie counting but maybe that would help for now. Give it a try. It is definitely keeping me accountable for EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I know you can do this...I know WE can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa! Nope, you're not alone! I know how you feel; I rarely get comments on my blog either. I just started a lap band blog a couple of weeks ago, or actually changed the purpose of a "health-related" blog to be my LB blog. You can do it... we can all do it! Some might reach their goal sooner, some later. The important thing is sticking with the plan and keeping our eyes on the prize!! Check out my blog sometime too. We're practically neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Kerri sent me over. I am a new follower. I am sorry I didn't visit sooner but I didn't know you were here. I understand how frustrating it can be at first... waiting for the new life to begin but it will happen. I gave up bread, rice and pasta completely. I treat myself once in a while but eat mostly meat and a few veggies. It doesn't sound fun but if you read my blog from tonight you'll see that there are lots of options to eat and still stay on track. Right after surgery we hold alot of water weight and are still swollen and healing inside so It is difficult to lose weight. I was on liquids for a full month after my banding and 2 weeks before. Since that is so restrictive. I did lose alot of weight but I keep losing by keeping myself accountable by tracking calories, carbs and protein. It is exciting to find out the truth about what we put in our mouth and most of us wouldn't eat certain things if we knew the calories. I use my fitness pal like kerry and love it. Knowledge is power. Other than those tips... You are doing great. You will get your first fill and get into a routine and enjoy your life. I don't live to eat anymore, I eat to live. Visit me, *Maria*-BandGeek Blogger from "This one time at Band Camp..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liss! Hang in there honey...you are in Bandster Hell! The light at the end of the tunnel is your fill! I was also banded in Mexico. Best decision I ever made! I live in Florida and I've lost a little over 20 lbs in 12 weeks. I'm happy with that. My goal is to lose between 1 - 2 lbs a week and that is what I am losing.

    Stop by my blog and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just need to hang in there a little longer. I didn't lose much weight after banding until my first fill. You need to breathe and relax a bit and let yourself heal. Once you have had a fill or two you will then start to feel the restriction and that helps soooooooooooo much.

    Then it not all about self restraint, its about working with the band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liss, I was banded 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have lost 15 pounds and now I am waiting to have my first fill on July 7th. I too am trying to not get discouraged. We will make it, it just takes patience. Come on over to my blog and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm overwhelmed by so many comments and the encouragement. Thanks so much!!! I'm so excited to have people who've been there and done that PROMISING it gets better! I have hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh honey, I'm sorry i didn't find your blog sooner, but I can SOOOOO relate! Bandster Hell sucks and since you haven't been filled yet, this is not a time of major weight loss. I was banded on 2/23/10 and I didn't lose but a few lbs until I got my first fill, but it does get better. The important thing is that you exercise and for me, tracking what I eat is very important. I use myfitnesspal.com and I plan out my days ahead of time so I always know what I will have and how healthy my choices are. I was so surprised when I first started tracking at how many calories were in the foods I thought would be good choices. It all adds up so quickly! When you see it written out you can easily make changes BEFORE it is eaten and make a healthier choice. Good luck to you and please stop by my blog @ www.dreamsofskinnyhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a suggestion if you want some followers-visit other blogs and leave comments. It's easier to find new people that way. Lots and lots of reading gives you a new perspective on the weight loss and helps get through the rough times. And we like comments too! Welcome to the blogging world. Hope you get through this rough spot quickly. The band does work.

    ReplyDelete