Monday, March 8, 2010

Pros, Cons, Everything in Between...

Hi. I'm back. Didja miss me? I did some cleaning after getting the kids up and about and made a few phone calls... Figured maybe I could get a jump start on the process by calling BCBS-- just to make sure I took everything required to the meeting with the surgeon so that I wouldn't have to come back repeatedly with this, that, and the other. Guess what? Bariatric surgery of ANY TYPE is not covered by our insurance.

Zip. Zero. Nada.

Guess what else? I cried my eyes out. I'm the type of person that when I make a decision... It's MADE. And I'm not one who changes her mind very much either. So, after I was done sniveling and snorting... I started a new type of research. Self Pay Lap Band Procedures. Whew. This surgery is pricey... Except in Mexico. It's relatively inexpensive in Mexico. I've always wanted to see more of Mexico... :) My husband is gonna flip. He already let me know, unequivocally, that going out of the country for surgery was NOT gonna happen. *looks innocent* I might not have been listening, though... (It happens, right, married ladies?)

Pros (I have a jillion, for your sanity I'll only list my Top 20) :
1) I live in the Deep South... I would be less well-insulated. I might not even be grossly sweaty all summer!
2) I could dress in flattering, pretty clothes (I'm sorry-- plus size clothes are just not "those adjectives!)
3) I could play with the kids more (instead of, "OK, sweetie... Mama'll watch you from here... OK?")
4) My legs wouldn't get all slimy and stuck together with sweat while I sleep.
5) My husband would say I look great and I might believe him!
6) My daughter won't grow up thinking fat is "normal" and therefore "OK".
7) I could enjoy food without feeling guilty because I ate WAY too much of it!
8) I could quit avoiding old friends so I don't have to see them trying to not say "OMG You're HUGE!"
9) I could feel comfortable meeting new people.
10) I could wear really cute heels (right now ANY heels hurt!)
11) I could send money on clothes for ME rather than just my kids-- sorry.. It's ALWAYS cute in a 2t and rarely cute in a 20w!
12) I could FEEL SEXY!
13) I could buy lingerie in Victoria's Secret again!
14) I could run in a 5K in the Race for a Cure for Type 1 Diabetes (which my daughter has:( )
15) My back wouldn't hurt all the time!
16) I would feel more rested-- I just know I don't sleep well because I'm so big.
17) I could let people tag my pictures on Facebook and not un-tag them immediately!
18) I could get a family photo taken-- right now I just get the kids' pictures done because I don't want to ruin the picture by being in it!
19) I could quit hating myself so much (a doozy, I know, but... It's hard to love yourself when you're gross).
20) I could finally get a haircut that would look nice (nothing looks great on a fat face!)

Cons :
1) It's gonna be expensive-- especially if I can't talk my hubby into Mexico!
2) I'm afraid of the huge changes that I'll have to make to my eating...
3) I'm afraid it'll hurt (yes, I'm such a wimp).
4) Obviously, it ain't gonna get rid of the stretch marks from pregnancy LOL
5) It's an unknown and I'm a chicken.

I'd say my Pros SO outweigh the pitiful little Cons, huh? Now, I need to get some pictures (*gag*) so I can show where I'm starting and where I end up after I get banded. Because I fully intend to work the CRAP outta the band and to lose, lose, lose! Ya know... Maybe having to go self pay would be a plus? I bet there's less wait time... ;)

1 comment:

  1. U r so right. U have listed all the right Pros and Cons. With my list the pros outweighed the cons as well. My surgery date is 4/2. I had the blessing of my insurance paying for it. However, with all my research it appears that going to Mexico is not a bad idea. There are quite a # of people @ Lapbandtalk.com that have done the same. Good Luck and God Bless

    ReplyDelete